I have experienced a lot of challenging things in my life but nothing could have prepared me for trying to keep a 1 year old entertained all day, especially during a global pandemic. Mama’s, am I right? I never want to be one of those people who let their child watch TV all day but I am embarrassed to admit that it’s happened a time or two (cough… or three). In order to keep my little one busy and not watching Elmo 24/7, I’ve come up with my top 5 things to keep your toddler busy during quarantine.
- It’s time to get messy! I asked around and so many mothers told me about the idea of finger panting by making your own edible paint. So I got to work in the kitchen and created some paint. I found my recipe at LOVEVERY but you can also find some from Amazon like these from Crayola .
2) For the mothers who are not about the messy life, this is a great idea! Thanks to Facebook and the parents out there with amazing ideas, I found one that I can’t wait to try! I love that this can be done on a rainy day and doesn’t require a bath afterwards. Also, the suggestion of putting it in a frame is great. A perfect way to display the artwork from your little artist! Check out how to create your child’s own cling film artwork.
3) I’m sure like many of the mothers out there, I’m in no rush to bring my child out in public. Even as quarantine restrictions loosen as they are doing in Texas, I’d rather do as much at home as possible. Taking my son to a crowded splash pad doesn’t seem too appealing so I found an amazing alternative for a new toddler who loves the water and being outside. Jozo makes an Outdoor Sprinkler Splash Pad that I can’t wait to use this summer. Not only will it help to keep the little ones cool but there is no doubt they’ll have a blast!
4) Story time is a favorite in our house. Asher LOVES to read so we have loads of books. Some of his favorite ones are any from the ‘That’s Not My’ collection. The fun thing about these books is that it also encourages independent play.
He’ll sit on the floor for long periods of time and “read” every single book. If you haven’t heard of these, I highly recommend them.
5) Finally, the last of my top 5 things to do with a 1 year old during lockdown, a little bit of his/her favorite show on TV. For Asher, it’s all about Elmo, so we get a snack, cuddle on the sofa and watch Sesame Street.
These are my favorite times if I’m being honest. I get to rest a bit and there is nothing better than cuddles from your little one that is growing way too fast.
No matter what you do with your toddler during these uncertain times, have fun. If that means you dance around the living room, plan to do one of the activities above or just let them rearrange your kitchen drawers, enjoy it. These are moments that go by quickly. What better time to soak it all in!